Beef Pie with Eggplant and Pine Nuts
I wanted to prepare this recipe for a long time, but somehow didn’t find the time for it. Recently, when cleaning the small table in the living room, I got my eyes on it, and decided that it was time.
What can I tell about the result? Very tasty (in a distinct Mediterranean style). Meat and eggplants is a fairly common combination. Sometimes we even add some eggplant into kebabs/cutlets to make them more juicy. So, this dish doesn’t offer anything “conceptually” new. The upside is that it is really tasty. Even the lack of spice doesn’t affect the result, since the eggplants make good companions for the meat. If someone wants to spice this up, adding cumin or thyme could work really well here. This is a very quick and tasty dish, that could be prepared for dinner in a very short time.
(For baking form, 28 centimeters in diameter)
1 pack of puff pastry dough sheets (much better if it is with butter)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion
500 gr, ground beef
800 gr. eggplants pulp (approximately 4 medium-sized eggplants)
3 tbsp. pine nuts
2 tbsp. bread crumbs
Butter for “greasing” the baking form
- Bake the eggplants on the grill. Chill them and take out the pulp. Drain the water from the pulp by pressing it slightly. Use 800 grams of the resulting mass and chop it finely.
- Cut the onion into small cubes.
- Fry the nuts on a dry frying pan until they became golden-brown.
- Add the ground meat and continue frying while mixing and breaking the lumps on high heat for 10 minutes. When the ground meat changes its color completely, remove from heat.
- Add the chopped eggplants pulp, pine nuts, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and chill till room temperature.
- Butter the baking form and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Cut the dough sheet into two parts. Place the large part on the bottom of the baking form. Spread the mixed filling on top of the sheet and cover it with the other part of the dough sheet. You can either wrap the edges or just “cut off” the remainder by passing with the rolling pin over the top edges of the form.
- Spread egg over the pie and bake it in pre-heated oven on 190C for about an hour. The pie should become brown. In order to make sure that it was completely baked both on the top and on the bottom, I’ve left it to chill inside an oven.
Did you like this recipe? Do you think that you are going to cook it anytime soon? Have you already tried it?
Please leave us comments about your experience…..